- The Power-Conflict Story:
A Dynamic Model of Interstate Rivalry. 2001.
Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan Press.
Journal Articles & Book Chapters
- "A Supply Side Theory of Third Party Conflict Management"
with Mark Crescenzi, Sara Mitchell, and Clayton Thyne.
Forthcoming (2011). International
Studies Quarterly. <.pdf>
- "The Origins and Evolution of SSIP: How Methods Met
Models, with a Short Interlude" with Dina Zinnes. 2010. In International Studies Encyclopedia
(Scientific Studies of International Politics contribution). R.
Denemark and A. Gerlak, eds. Wiley Blackwell. <.pdf>
- "Practicing Democratic Community Norms: Third Party
Conflict Management and Successful Settlements" with Sara Mitchell and
Mark Crescenzi. 2009. In Empirical
Studies in Mediation. S. Gartner and J. Bercovitch, eds.
London: Routledge. <.pdf>
- "The Trade-Offs of Fighting and Investing: A Model of
the Evolution of War and Peace" with Daniel S. Morey. 2008. Conflict Management and Peace Science,
25: 152-170. <.pdf>
- "Mana from Heaven or Forbidden Fruit? The (Ab)Use of
Control Variables in Research on International Conflict" with Sara
Mitchell. 2005. Conflict
Management and Peace Science, 22: 273-274. <.pdf>
- "Heeding Ray's Advice: An Exegesis on Control
Variables in Systemic Democratic Peace Research" with Sara Mitchell.
2005. Conflict Management
and Peace Science, 22: 311-326. <.pdf>
- "Measuring National Power" with Gerald Sorokin. 2004.
30: 211-230. <.pdf>
- "Democratic Survival, Peace, and War in the International
System," with Mark Crescenzi and Megan Shannon. 2003. American Journal of Political Science,
47: 234-247. <.pdf>
<dataset> <simulation files>
- "The Power-Conflict Story: A Synopsis." 1999.
Conflict Management and Peace
Science, 17: 149-174. <.pdf>
- "Transmissions, Barriers, and Constraints: A Dynamic
Model of the Spread of War." 1998. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 42:
- "The Conditions and Consequences of Dyadic Power
Transitions: Deductions from a Dynamic Model." 1995.
In Parity and War: A
Critical Evaluation of the War Ledger. J. Kugler and D.
Lemke, eds. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan
- Control Variables, Model Specification, and Knowledge
Cumulation. Editor with Sara Mitchell. 2005. A
special issue of Conflict Management
and Peace Science, Vol. 22.